Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE:BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical and management services to support the U.S. government in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry. With approximately 6,100 employees, BWXT has nine major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, BWXT joint ventures provide management and operations at a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and two NASA facilities. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
The Radiological Controls Manager reports to the Site Manager in support of the Decontamination and Decommissioning (D&D) efforts at the Kesselring Naval Training Facility in West Milton, New York as a part of a joint venture with BWX Technologies to form BWSR. BWSR is the Decontamination, Decommissioning, and Demolition (D&D) sub-contractor for the Naval Reactor Facilities performing the remediation of legacy nuclear and environmental materials on site. The main project areas at the site include remediation of historical research facilities, demolition of buildings, and characterization of site-infrastructure to support on-going maintenance and construction.
This position is an exempt management position that requires practical knowledge of standard procedures for mitigating the hazards associated with radiation and radioactive material encountered during the contract D&D work. The position will be responsible to manager team of two supervisors and 12 Radiological Controls Technicians. The position works closely with the Operations Manager, Engineering Manager, EH&S Manager and Waste Engineer Manager to develop detailed work procedures for the performance and execution of work that will characterize, create, handling and storage store radiological and other hazardous waste. This position will be provided training and must maintain qualifications to strict program standards that regulate the conduct of this work.
- Ensures that radiation safety program, policies, procedures, and requirements are planned, implemented and executed in day-to-day contract operations.
- Responsible for managing the radiological safety training and testing for all contract engineering, operations, and radiological controls personnel.
- Manages subordinate supervisors who oversee employees in Radiological Controls Operations and Radiological Training.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these organizations.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and training of employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Directs Radiological Controls Supervisors to provide radiological oversight and support operational tasks.
- Coordinate emergency response for the company and the customer during radiological emergencies.
- Leads the development of radiological processes and programs.
- Interface with BWSR management and customers concerning all radiological issues.
- Provides radiological oversight and leadership for all BWSR personnel to ensure the highest radiological standards are maintained.
- Interprets radiological control requirements, participates in task scoping, and provides technical review of work documents.
- Provides oversight and direction for the radiological controls training for both contamination workers and radiological controls personnel.
- Acts as critique leader responsible for facilitating critique investigations and issuing investigation reports.
- Oversight of field work for job performance and safety.
- This position requires a minimum education of a two-year college degree in math or science and a minimum of five years’ experience in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program as a RCT supervisor.
- Applicants must have 5 years’ experience as a Naval Reactors qualified Radiological Controls Supervisor within the last 10 years.
- Prior Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program experience is required.
- Must be a US Citizen; no dual citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE "L" Security Clearance.
- Must communicate well in both oral and written forms.
BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other category protected by federal, state, and/or local law.
https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf Nearest Major Market:
Location/Region: Schenectady, NY